[cups.general] CUPS with Windows PPD files?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Tue Aug 12 10:32:19 PDT 2008

We currently use CUPS 1.2.7 with vendor-provided PPD files.  When we
tried to update to 1.3.5, we discovered that its PPD parser rejected
almost all the vendor PPDs as malformed in one way or another.
linuxprinting.org says to use the vendor PPD, and in many cases (e.g.
Dell W5300N) doesn't have a foomatic database entry.

Does any current version of CUPS work with vendor Windows PPDs?  Is
there another way to get these to work?

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu