[cups.general] snmp address ranges

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Tue Aug 12 15:39:03 PDT 2008

Stephen Isard wrote:
> Thanks for your reply.
>
>> Your assumption is incorrect.  CUPS broadcasts the initial SNMP
>> query using the broadcast address(es) for the interface(s) you specify
>> in snmp.conf.  We don't poll all addresses in a subnet manually.
>
> Right.  I think that's my problem.  The printers I'd like to discover will only be reached by broadcasting to the range you get by combining the broadcast address (abc.def.9.255) with the netmask (255.255.254.0).
> The 254 will make that range include addresses abc.def.8.xxx, which is where the printers are, and in fact where my own machine is.

A broadcast address of abc.def.9.255 with a netmask of 255.255.254.0
includes abc.def.8.x and abs.def.9.x.

Your printers are not configured properly (wrong netmask?) or have a
buggy IP stack that can't deal with "classless" networks (networks
that have netmasks other than 255.0.0.0, 255.255.0.0, or
255.255.255.0).