[cups.general] CUPS with Windows PPD files?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Thu Aug 14 13:46:53 PDT 2008

On Aug 13, 2008, at 07:08 , Helge Blischke wrote:

> Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:
>> We currently use CUPS 1.2.7 with vendor-provided PPD files.  When we
>> tried to update to 1.3.5, we discovered that its PPD parser rejected
>> almost all the vendor PPDs as malformed in one way or another.
>> linuxprinting.org says to use the vendor PPD, and in many cases (e.g.
>> Dell W5300N) doesn't have a foomatic database entry.
>>
>> Does any current version of CUPS work with vendor Windows PPDs?  Is
>> there another way to get these to work?
>
> Perhaps you could post some examples. As for my experience,
> the causes for cupstestppd repelling PPDs usually can be
> fixed without great pain; I think I could give you some
> hints.

Just for starters, here's the list of our PPDs that CUPS 1.2.x doesn't
like.  1.3 isn't installed because many more PPDs fail and I don't
really have the time to fix all of even these (I ended up substituting
the LaserWriter PPD for all of these, which is already causing
problems here) --- and I will note that most of the HP PPDs require
rather more than just a little manual tweaking to fix, according to
cupstestppd.  (I've already been there, thanks.  If it were easy, I
wouldn't be complaining about it.)

I can only conclude that most CUPS users don't actually have to
support printers made by major manufacturers that don't care about non-
Windows.