Kerberized server, client printing problems

bse bse at chalmers.se
Sat Aug 16 00:10:12 PDT 2008

I have managed to get a Cups server working with Kerberos. Thanks again for the kerberos integration into Cups!

The server protects everything  with Kerberos, and demands valid-user.
The clients do not have any entries in kerberos, we are just using the users ticket to authenticate, and have an entry in ~/.cuprs to point to the print server.

Printing with lpr from Mac and linux works without any problem, so I think that the server is OK.

Two big problems, and one small, is still unsolved, which makes it hard to put the system into production:

First: On Fedora 9, I can not print from any gtk-application, including (but not limited to) Firefox, Openoffice. When the client tries to get the PPD-file, (which is protected at the same level as the printer itself) it is asked to negotiate, which the client will not do.
The result is that I get a list of printers, but the 'Print'-button is greyed out. If I modify the server to allow unauthenticated access to the ppd-file, the 'Print'-button will appear normal, but the printout will fail.

Is there anyone that has seen this before, or has made it working?

Second: On Max OSX.latest, the applications (except for lpr) crash when trying to print. This should not happen, even if the server is incorrectly configured.

Third: Is there any writeup on how to configure cups in general, and Kerberized cups in particular? A new CUPS-book maybe??

//Bse