[cups.general] How to reject certain printout types?

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Aug 18 11:17:11 PDT 2008

Kyle Schmitt wrote:
> How do you reject certain printout types?
>
> I've got a fairly large number of line printers deployed for reports, and they are used as straight line printers (raw queues, no driver seems to properly work for these).
>
> I would like to reject all non text printouts to these printers:
> Post Script?  Reject
> GDI data from windows?  Reject
> PDF? Reject
> Plain text? Print
>
> How do I do this?

The "proper" way would be to use a PPD file with the following
cupsFilter line:

     *cupsFilter: "text/plain 0 -"

You could also use an interface script and have it reject jobs
based on the CONTENT_TYPE environment variable.  However, that
would basically allow users to submit jobs and have them disappear
siliently - the PPD method will return an error immediately...