[cups.general] Help with HP printer and CUPS

Kaoru Negisa negisa at laughingpirates.com
Tue Aug 19 11:21:19 PDT 2008

I'm sorry to bother people on this list with this problem, but I'm at wit's
end and don't know who else to ask.

For a brief time I was able to print in KDE. However, something I did made
it that I can no longer print to the local computer. When I attempt to add a
new printer, it is unable to find the CUPS backends, so all of my options
for how my printer is connected to the computer are greyed out. I'm not sure
what I did that would have caused this. I've been trying to get Samba to
work so I can print remotely from a Windows wireless laptop, but while Samba
will let me access files from the Linux computer, it won't allow me to print
remotely. But that's a separate issue.

I know that the CUPS backends are in the folder they need to be in, so I
don't know why I suddenly can't access them. When I try and add a printer
with the wizard, I get a dialog box saying, "server-error-internal-error."
I've never been able to access the CUPS web config.

I'm running Gentoo and have CUPS 1.3.7-r1. Thank you in advance, and again
I'm sorry about any bother this has caused.

Moonpanther