CUPS INFO

Ved Prakash prakash_foru at indiatimes.com
Thu Aug 21 04:30:21 PDT 2008

Hi all,
     I m new to cups. I have to configure a usb printer in my embedded board. I want to know whether cups should be used for that or we can do that in more simple way?
     If cups is the appropriate for this then  Why cups??
i have some doubts also.
1. Suppose i am adding a new usb printer only ".ppd" is enough for   proper working of usb printer? Because in linux every hardware interaction is done through "driver".

2. What is the difference between "driver" & "ppd"?

3. In latest cups whether ghostscript is also available or removed?

4. What ghostscript does? Whether it contain all the drivers required for the printers. or

5. Generic printer drivers are used for the interaction?

Dont mind i am really confused...:((

Thanks in advance....