CUPS INFO

Ved Prakash prakash_foru at indiatimes.com
Thu Aug 21 22:37:22 PDT 2008

> Ved Prakash wrote:
> > 1. Suppose i am adding a new usb printer only ".ppd" is enough for   proper working of usb printer? Because in linux every hardware interaction is done through "driver".
>
> The PPD file describes the printer features and any needed driver
> (filter) programs needed to print to that printer.
>
> > 2. What is the difference between "driver" & "ppd"?
>
> See above for the PPD.
>
> A "driver" is a filter program that CUPS runs to convert the print
> job into a printable format.  Typically CUPS printer drivers accept
> CUPS raster data (application/vnd.cups-raster) and produce the
> corresponding printer data.
>
> > 3. In latest cups whether ghostscript is also available or removed?
>
> Ghostscript has not been part of CUPS since CUPS 1.1.
>
> > 4. What ghostscript does? Whether it contain all the drivers required for the printers. or
>
> Ghostscript converts PostScript print jobs to a generic raster format
> that can be used by CUPS raster printer driver filters.
>
> > 5. Generic printer drivers are used for the interaction?
>
> They can be for some printers.  For example, PostScript printers and
> PCL laser printers typically can be driven by a generic PPD file and
> (in the case of PCL laser printers) the rastertohp filter included
> with CUPS.
>
> However, most inkjet printers require their own printer drivers to
> work.  Free software like Gutenprint and HPLIP do this for many of
> the major brands...
>
> --
> Michael R Sweet                        Senior Printing System Engineer

Thanks alot Michael for replying.....
I have to install a usb printer to my embedded board runing on linux
2.6.xx. which will be used by a single user. Feeling confused that
whether "CUPS" is required for this or can i install the printer directly without any tool. Because what i think cubs is most useful when we are going the printer in network. Please help me to come out of this confusion.