[cups.general] Communication between CUPS & native linux printer driver.

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Fri Aug 22 00:05:30 PDT 2008

On 2008 Aug 22, at 2:46, Ved Prakash wrote:
> As per my understanding CUPS acts as an intermediate between
> application(print task) & linux printer driver "usblp". Am i right??
> Or it really contains drivers?? Think every thing from usb printer
> point of view.

No, you still need the kernel usblp driver.  The CUPS backend simply
knows how to access all the features of the usblp driver (as opposed
to, say, a port9100 network printer or a parallel port printer).

>  3. One more thing suppose i am going to use a brand new vendor usb
> printer then only ppd file of that printer is enough to store in /
> usr/share/cups/model as i have read in on of the reply in this forum.

Generally.  But if the printer doesn't speak PostScript then you will
need to install foomatic-rip as well.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu