Cannot print on a networked iMAC

Burnie West west at ieee.org
Sat Aug 23 17:34:42 PDT 2008

I've been able to print using a networked iMAC as a print server for several months; suddenly last week after taking the iMAC off the network for a few days and then reconnecting it, I could not. My Linux (Fedora 9) box exhibits the printer on its localhost:631 page, and it is identified as "published". The iMAC localhost:631 page allows to publish and unpublish the printer. The CUPS daemon is running on the Linux box - I've stopped and started it, and restarted it, a couple of times.

The iMAC has a (zero-size) file in /private/var/run/cupsd - which I believe asserts that the CUPS daemon is running on the iMAC - but on the Linux box the System->Administration->Printing window displays the CUPS server error message 'server-error-service-unavailable' when an iMAC served printer is selected. I've rebooted the iMAC, the Linux box, and the router separately and all in sequence.

My Linksys WBN350 router shows both machines properly identified (by IP address,but not by name) in its DHCP tables and its internet access policy is the default (allow everything on the LAN).

Both machines have reasonable cupsd.conf files. I edited them both to allow both machines in the <LOCATION /> field. I believe the first few lines in these files tell the story (pardon my verbosity):
====Linux====
LogLevel debug
SystemGroup sys root
# Allow remote access
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
# Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
# (Change '@LOCAL' to 'ALL' if using directed broadcasts from another subnet.)
BrowseAllow @LOCAL
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
  # Allow shared printing...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow localhost
  Allow 192.168.1.100
  Allow 192.168.1.101
</Location>
=====iMAC=====
LogLevel info
MaxCopies 10000
ConfigFilePerm 0644
# Allow remote access
Port 631
Listen /private/var/run/cupsd
# Enable printer sharing and shared printers.
Browsing On
BrowseOrder allow,deny
BrowseAllow all
BrowseAddress @LOCAL
BrowseShortNames No
BrowseInterval 30
ImplicitClasses Off
SystemGroup lp,admin
RootCertDuration 43200
<Location />
  Deny From All
  Allow From 127.0.0.1
  Allow From 192.168.1.100
  Allow From 192.168.1.101
  Allow From @LOCAL
  # Allow shared printing and remote administration...
  Order allow,deny
  Allow @LOCAL
</Location>

I don't know where else to look :-(