Redirected lpt printer port via samba on Fedora 9

Charles Halsall chalsall at btl.net
Mon Aug 25 12:10:00 PDT 2008

I use shared printers on my fedora box to serve redirected lpt printer ports used by a couple of DOS applications on my windows boxes. I did this with FC5, FC6, and Fedora 7 without any problems. I did no use Fedora 8, I skipped to Fedora 9.

This was the first time I installed such a recent release of any linux distribution. I expected a few issues and have solved all of them, so far, with the exception of the redirected Lpt printer port problem. On my windows boxes I use the following net use commands to redirect my printer ports:

net use lpt2 \\servername\epsonSoandSoPrinter
net use lpt3 \\servername\hpSoandSoPrinter

This have always worked. Jobs sent to these ports, whether from the command prompt or any DOS application, printed almost immediately. They now print but there is a delay of about 60 seconds.

I've been over all my settings and configuration files, several times, to see if I have done anything differently or if anything has to be done differently, to no avail. Has anyone else come across this problem?