compile fails on Solaris 10 05/08

chris hardesty cwhardesty at tx.rr.com
Tue Aug 26 22:46:09 PDT 2008

Hello,

i am trying to install CUPS v1.4 on solaris x86 machine and i am having problems getting the compile to work.  i am new to CUPS so please excuse my ignorance!

I issue the following configure command and it seems to complete ok:
./configure --disable-gssapi --disable-ssl --disable-ldap

i used the above command mainly because the compile would fail unless i started disabling items.  i am not using kerbose and i do not use ldap, but not sure why the ssl needs to disabled.  but compiling would always fail until i used the disable flags above.  now after configuring as above, the make command ends as shown below:

Compiling testppd.c...
Linking testppd...
Running PPD API tests...
ppdOpenFile(test.ppd): PASS
ppdMarkDefaults: PASS
ppdEmitString (defaults): PASS
ppdEmitString (custom size and string): PASS
ppdConflicts(): PASS (2)
cupsResolveConflicts(): PASS
ppdInstallableConflict(): PASS
ppdPageSizeLimits: PASS
ppdLocalizeIPPReason(text): PASS
ppdLocalizeIPPReason(http): PASS
ppdLocalizeIPPReason(help): PASS
ppdLocalizeIPPReason(file): PASS
ppdLocalizeIPPReason(fr text): FAIL ("Foo Reason" instead of "La Long Foo Reason")
ppdLocalizeIPPReason(zh_TW text): FAIL ("Foo Reason" instead of "Number 1 Foo Reason")
ppdLocalizeMarkerName(bogus): PASS
ppdLocalizeMarkerName(cyan): PASS
ppdLocalizeMarkerName(fr cyan): FAIL ("Cyan Toner" instead of "La Toner Cyan")
ppdLocalizeMarkerName(zh_TW cyan): FAIL ("Cyan Toner" instead of "Number 1 Cyan Toner")
ppdOpenFile(test2.ppd): PASS
ppdMarkDefaults: PASS
ppdConflicts(): PASS (2)
cupsResolveConflicts(): PASS
cupsResolveConflicts(loop test): PASS
ppdInstallableConflict(): PASS
ppdPageSizeLimits(default): PASS
ppdPageSizeLimits(InputSlot=Manual): PASS
ppdPageSizeLimits(Quality=Photo): PASS
ppdPageSizeLimits(Quality=Photo): PASS
*** Error code 4
The following command caused the error:
./testppd
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `testppd'
Current working directory /public/hpdj/cups-1.4svn-r7844/cups
*** Error code 1
The following command caused the error:
for dir in cups filter backend berkeley cgi-bin driver locale man monitor  notifier ppdc scheduler systemv test    conf data doc fonts templates; do\
        echo Making all in $dir... ;\
        (cd $dir ; make  all) || exit 1;\
done
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `all'

if i just rerun the make command, it seems to finish without encountering any other major errors.  Can someone tell me:

1) why i have to disable ssl?  kerberos and ldap make a little sense as i am not using them, but not ssl
2) what user/group should i be using to do the configure/make/make install as?
3) why does the compile fail in the above output and is it ok to just issue the make command again and let it finish?

Any help that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated!
thanks,
chris hardesty