[cups.general] increasing the number of history files kept inspool

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Aug 27 15:29:20 PDT 2008

wei wrote:
> I thought setting the limit would make CUPS to automatically archive the 500 jobs to a file then start a new log.... Am I misunderstood?

No, CUPS does not maintain a single "job log".  Instead, the "c" files
in the spool directory each represent a single job.

"MaxJobs 500" keeps at most 500 "c" files.  "MaxJobs 0" keeps an
unlimited number of "c" files (and is not recommended!)

The scheduler (cupsd) removes the oldest "c" files as needed to keep
at the limit you set.