[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2894: 404 error with "http://servername:631/profiles/filename.icc"

Hal V. Engel hvengel at astound.net
Mon Aug 4 13:16:57 PDT 2008

On Sunday 03 August 2008 09:03:05 pm Michael Sweet wrote:
> [STR Closed w/o Resolution]
>
> You were told wrong.  You cannot get ICC profiles via HTTP at this time.
>
> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2894
> Version: 1.3.7
> Fix Version: None

Michael,

This is what you posted to the OpenICC list April 12, 2005:

"OK, let me summarize:"
     snip

     "7. Applications can retrieve the output profile(s) of a printer
         by reading the PPD file (cupsGetPPD, ppdOpenFile) to get
         the list of standard profiles and by getting the profile
         from the print server using the URL
         "http://servername:631/profiles/filename.icc"."

So it appears that you are the one who told the OpenICC list wrong.  This is
also what is documented in the Mac tech notes for cupsICCProfile.  So this
information came from what should have been authoritative sources.  I hope you
can understand why I may have though, along with all of the other subscibers
to the OpenICC list, that this information was correct.

There are also other things in the on-line CUPS documentation for
cupsICCProfile and the Mac tech notes that appear to contradict other
information that you posted to the OpenICC list.  For example, in the same
April 12, 2005 note you said

   "3. Output profiles are stored in a "profiles" directory,
        typically /usr/share/cups/profiles.  Subdirectories
        are allowed."

and

   "6. Custom output profiles must be stored in the "profiles"
        directory or a subdirectory."

But the CUPS docs about this (http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/spec-
ppd.html) have the following:

"The filename portion specifies the ICC color profile to use; if the filename
is not absolute, it is loaded relative to the /usr/share/cups/profiles
directory.

Examples:
*% Specify a profile for CMYK printing at 360dpi on all media types
*cupsICCProfile CMYK..360dpi/360dpi CMYK:
"/Library/Printers/vendor/Profiles/foo-360-cmyk.icc""

Which implies that if absolute paths are specified that profiles can be in
some location other than /usr/share/cups/profiles and this seems contrary to
what you said on the OpenICC list.

So I am confused about how this stuff is supposed to work and what documents
and sources are correct and which are not.  Sorry for being so obtuse and easy
to confuse.

Hal