[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2894: 404 error with "http://servername:631/profiles/filename.icc"

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Mon Aug 4 14:58:22 PDT 2008

Hal V. Engel wrote:
> "OK, let me summarize:"
>      snip
>
>      "7. Applications can retrieve the output profile(s) of a printer
>          by reading the PPD file (cupsGetPPD, ppdOpenFile) to get
>          the list of standard profiles and by getting the profile
>          from the print server using the URL
>          "http://servername:631/profiles/filename.icc"."

That was the original proposal.  It was never implemented.

> So it appears that you are the one who told the OpenICC list wrong.  This is
> also what is documented in the Mac tech notes for cupsICCProfile.

I assume you mean:

     http://developer.apple.com/qa/qa2004/qa1352.html

If you read the tech note carefully, you'll notice that there is
no discussion of getting files via HTTP, mainly because Mac OS X
drivers do not put their profiles in /usr/share/cups/profiles.

> Which implies that if absolute paths are specified that profiles can be in
> some location other than /usr/share/cups/profiles and this seems contrary to
> what you said on the OpenICC list.

The OpenICC posting was the proposal, based on what we came up with
for Mac OS X.  It was never implemented.

What is available today is what is documented in CUPS, namely all of
the cupsICCProfile keyword stuff but none of the remote access stuff.