lp does not ask for password

Christoph Pleger Christoph.Pleger at cs.tu-dortmund.de
Tue Aug 12 02:54:40 PDT 2008

Hello,

I installed cups both on an Ubuntu feisty and on an Ubuntu hardy machine. The first has CUPS Version 1.2.8, the second CUPS version 1.3.7. On both machines, in cupsd.conf, I limited print jobs to authenticated system users. The CUPS server is the local host.

My problem is that the command line tool lp behaves different on the machines. On the first, it asks for a password and only prints if the given password is correct. On the second, it prints without asking for a password.

First, I thought that my configuration on the second machine is incorrect. But then I tried the KDE tool kprinter, and kprinter requires the correct password.

Regards
  Christoph