[cups.bugs] [LOW] STR #2916: str2831 patch made%%BeginFeature/%%EndFeature stop working

Michael R Sweet msweet at apple.com
Wed Aug 27 13:52:58 PDT 2008

Helge Blischke wrote:
> Michael Sweet wrote:
>> [STR Closed w/o Resolution]
>>
>> You are using a local printer driver, along with a printer driver on the
>> Linux system.  Both get run, so the Linux driver interferes with the Mac
>> driver.
>>
>> Use a raw queue on the Linux system or use CUPS printer sharing with the
>> Mac system.
>>
>> Not a bug.
>>
>> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2916
>> Version: 1.3.8
>> Fix Version: Will Not Fix
>>

> I *do* think it is a bug. It is quite common - and legitime - for
> applications to insert reature requests/settings into the setup section
> of a PS job (between the %%BeginSetup and %%EndSetup comments).

Files containing device-specific commands need to be submitted using
the application/vnd.cups-postscript document-format value.  Otherwise
we treat the file as device-independent PostScript, which has
DIFFERENT rules to follow.

Specifically, if you have an application that wants to produce a
document that overrides the options the user has specified, it should
use %%IncludeFeature or %cupsJobTicket instead of %%Begin/EndFeature
to a) allow CUPS to know that it should apply those options instead
and b) allow CUPS to insert the proper PostScript commands since you
most likely have not done so.

We do our best to not override %%Begin/EndFeature commands, however
because the rules for embedding those things are not well-defined
(i.e. no custom page size support, no support for copies, no ordering
requirements, etc.) bad things can happen, and every "workaround" you
come up with can cause problems.  IMHO, we have only improved our
track record for such things, since before it was possible to have
jobs that would not even print.