[cups.general] http://::1/printers/m URL ERROR

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Mon Dec 1 19:19:51 PST 2008

On 2008 Dec 1, at 17:40, ben wrote:
> Just wondering if anyone has come accross a problem when clicking on
> a printer link from Manage Printers and it redirects to the
> following URL http://::1/printers/Printer1
>
> The Hostname and Port are removed.
>
> This only started happening after restarting the cups service.

At a guess, something was changed to cause your local host name to be
mapped to 127.0.0.1 (IPv4) / ::1 (IPv6), and because that kind of
thing is often cached a restart was needed before CUPS found out about
it.

I would check /etc/hosts first --- it is in general a bad idea to map
the local hostname to the loopback IP address, it confuses too many
programs.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu