cannot get HL-1440 to move imageable area down

tj 999alfred at comcast.net
Wed Dec 3 14:10:01 PST 2008

I am trying to get my Brother HL-1440 working correctly with printing forms and just printing correctly all the time.. The problem is the ppd is ignoring the ImageableArea command. It wants to act like the printable area begins at the very top of the page. Which the HL-1440 will not do since there is an unprintable .17" area at the top. So, any apps I run that print to a business card, label, etc (like with glabels) causes the printing to be to high and docs that are printed may have the first line or header cut off.

I tried changing the values of ImageableArea in the .ppd file, But, this hsd absolutely no effect. Hell, I changed them to [100 100 200 200] and the test page still printed exactly the same and reported the Imageable Area exactly the same as when it was set to [0 0 612 792]. So, the ImageableArea command in the ppd must not be used.

I thought I had found a way by changing the ImagingBBox part of the PageRegion command, but all it did was change the size of the printout. It still always started at the very top of the page. Never could get it to move down the page and not cut off the upper part of the test page.

So, how can I fix this problem so I can use Linux for all my printing needs?

tj