Hold after rip feature ?

Julien Blanc julien.blanc at laposte.net
Thu Dec 4 01:30:58 PST 2008

Is there a way in cups to achieve an "hold after rip" feature ?

The goal is to schedule printing jobs from an external component. I have a batch of jobs that i want to print, but i don't know, at the time of submission, the order in which i'll print them.

So, i'd like to rip these jobs, hold them, and then, when a specific event (external from cups) happens, launch the printing of one specific job. I want rip to be done to ensure shortest print time, and i want to be printer independant (thus, i don't want to use the printer internal spooler).

I googled a bit and dived into man pages, but didn't see anything like this.

"lp -H hold" is not a working option now, because it won't do the rip.

Best regards,