[cups.general] cannot get HL-1440 to move imageable area down

Klaus Singvogel kssingvo at suse.de
Thu Dec 4 02:27:30 PST 2008

tj wrote:
> I am trying to get my Brother HL-1440 working correctly with
> printing forms and just printing correctly all the time.. The
> problem is the ppd is ignoring the ImageableArea command. It wants
> to act like the printable area begins at the very top of the page.
> Which the HL-1440 will not do since there is an unprintable .17"
> area at the top. So, any apps I run that print to a business card,
> label, etc (like with glabels) causes the printing to be to high and
> docs that are printed may have the first line or header cut off.

Which application(s) did you use for printing?
Which kind of document do you send to the printer?

> I tried changing the values of ImageableArea in the .ppd file, But,
> this hsd absolutely no effect. Hell, I changed them to [100 100 200
> 200] and the test page still printed exactly the same and reported
> the Imageable Area exactly the same as when it was set to [0 0 612
> 792]. So, the ImageableArea command in the ppd must not be used.

The application, which generates the printing has to honor this
too. Many applications don't do it.

E.g. if you send a raw text file (like /etc/passwd) to printer,
without previously processing, it should work. But as soon as the
applications prints without honoring the Imageable Area, if I remember
correctly firefox isn't honoring it, the printing system CUPS isn't
able to change anything anymore.

Regards,
	Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel  -  Maxfeldstr. 5  -  90409 Nuernberg  -  Germany
Phone: +49-911-74053-0