[cups.general] at wits end here with a brother laser HL2140 printer.

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Thu Dec 4 08:10:50 PST 2008

Greetings;

I had my boot disk commit suicide a month ago.  I had this printer working
flawlessly for about 6 months prior to that, using brothers own .ppd for an
HL-2070N which the recommended at the time.

Due to the drive failure, I reinstalled from the August 2008 respin of Fedora
8 and then installed amanda and recovered my personal stuff as I had good
backups.

They (brother) now have a linux driver for this printer, and I have tried it
and the older one both, but cups is being denied access to set it up
originally by selinux.  That is now set to permissive but I still can't get a
test page.  I've set cupsd.conf's error verbosity as high as debug2 without
seeing any real clues as to whats failing other than this in the error_log
when I attempt to commit with the 'modify printer' button: (as root)
==============
E [03/Dec/2008:22:22:38 -0500] Pause-Printer: Unauthorized
E [03/Dec/2008:22:23:36 -0500] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized
E [03/Dec/2008:22:26:58 -0500] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized
E [03/Dec/2008:22:28:11 -0500] CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized
=============

The location admin section of cupsd.conf:
==============
<Location /admin>
#
# You definitely will want to limit access to the administration functions.
# The default configuration requires a local connection from a user who
# is a member of the system group to do any admin tasks.  You can change
# the group name using the SystemGroup directive.
#
#AuthType Basic
#AuthClass System
AuthType None
## Restrict access to local domain
Order Deny,Allow
Deny From All
Allow From @LOCAL
Satisfy Any
#Encryption Required
</Location>

Does anyone have a clue to show me?  Please..

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)