CUPS to Airlink printer server - can't get it working.

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Sun Dec 7 11:56:26 PST 2008

Hi...

I have an Airlink AMPS230 print server connected to an HP Inkjet printer I am trying to get CUPS (running on a Linux / Debian box) to print to.  What really has me wound up is that I can print fine from an XP box to the Airlink print server to the HP Inkjet printer, but not from any of my Linux boxes!

What I assume I'm missing is the howto to port the XP settings to the CUPs server.  But as simple at this sounds, there's something I'm obviously missing.

The XP box has a printer entry something like: "\\192.168.1.50\port1".  I also entered a user name and password into the XP box just for this printer.  On the CUPS side I've tried about a dozen variations of: "http://192.168.1.50:631/".  Note, there is no place that I know of to enter a user name and / or password for a particular printer in CUPS - it that a CUPS problem?

Any ways, any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.