[cups.general] cups client 1.1.X can not talk to new server 1.3.7 ?!?

Klaus Singvogel kssingvo at suse.de
Mon Dec 8 03:37:07 PST 2008

Dr.Peer-Joachim Koch wrote:
> OS:        SuSE 8.1 (i386)

Please keep in mind, this system is no longer supported and
you'll get no (security) updates any more for this system.
SuSE Enterprise Server customers get only in rare cases
security updates for this product (details were already
communicated to customers).

> Well, we will replace this old system in the near future, but
> is there any way to get the cups working again ?

There were many issue with the locale. As a result CUPS was
changed to support "utf-8" only (I think it was cups-1.2.x).
No longer any old use of locales are supported.

You might want to use "utf-8" on your clients and your server.
But I fear you might run into trouble when using it, as the system
is really old and not really capable of "utf-8". Or you abandon the
localized texts printing option and switch back to pure ASCII texts
with appropriate locale settings.

Please note, that PostScript documents (default) are not influenced
by this "utf-8" restriction, its only the cups messages and internal
converting of "txt" documents. Printing PS docs with localized
characters within should even work when using a pure ASCII locale.

I would suggest to update your Linux systems, to avoid any such
conflicts in future and stabilize your security on them.

Regards,
	Klaus.
--
Klaus Singvogel  -  Maxfeldstr. 5  -  90409 Nuernberg  -  Germany
Phone: +49-911-74053-0