[cups.general] cups client 1.1.X can not talk to new server1.3.7 ?!?

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Mon Dec 8 04:30:37 PST 2008

Klaus Singvogel wrote:
> Dr.Peer-Joachim Koch wrote:
>> OS:        SuSE 8.1 (i386)
>
> Please keep in mind, this system is no longer supported and
> you'll get no (security) updates any more for this system.
> SuSE Enterprise Server customers get only in rare cases
> security updates for this product (details were already
> communicated to customers).
>
>> Well, we will replace this old system in the near future, but
>> is there any way to get the cups working again ?
>
> There were many issue with the locale. As a result CUPS was
> changed to support "utf-8" only (I think it was cups-1.2.x).
> No longer any old use of locales are supported.
>
> You might want to use "utf-8" on your clients and your server.
> But I fear you might run into trouble when using it, as the system
> is really old and not really capable of "utf-8". Or you abandon the
> localized texts printing option and switch back to pure ASCII texts
> with appropriate locale settings.
>
> Please note, that PostScript documents (default) are not influenced
> by this "utf-8" restriction, its only the cups messages and internal
> converting of "txt" documents. Printing PS docs with localized
> characters within should even work when using a pure ASCII locale.
>
> I would suggest to update your Linux systems, to avoid any such
> conflicts in future and stabilize your security on them.
>
> Regards,
> 	Klaus.

Try the following:

Below
	/usr/share/locale
find all files
	cups_xx
where xx is one of the locale tags CUPS has been installed for,
and edit these files by replacing the

	iso8859-1
in the first line by
	utg-8

This worked at least on my SuSE 8.2 system, and I suspect it is set up
the same way on your 8.1 system.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke