Where in CUPS can you enter the printer's

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Tue Dec 9 21:36:36 PST 2008

Sorry, I find short questions get answers where long ones don't.  But here goes:

I have an AirLink print server connected to an HP inkjet printer. I can print to the HP inkjet printer using Windows XP, but not directly from a Fedora9 box and not from the CUPS server running on a Debian / Unstable box.  However, once I saw that the Windows XP box did manage to get a test page to print through the CUPS server.  I could tell because the Windows test page prints out the IP address of where you send the test page to.  It was the CUPS server's IP!  But, I didn't realize that it worked until later, after I changed the CUPS settings.  I tried for an hour to print from the XP box through the CUPS server to the AirLink server to the HP printer again - but was never successful.

So what is the difference between the Windows XP box and the Linux boxes?  Well, the Windows XP box's printer set up has a option to enter the username and password for each printer.  I entered the default admin/admin for the AirLink box.  I suppose I could change it on the Windows XP box as an experiment to see if the AirLink box will ignore print jobs based on these parameters.

On the other hand, I could add the default user name and password to the CUPS server or to the Fedora9 box.  But I haven't figured out where, if indeed they can be, specified.

Other thoughts:
I believe the code running on the AirLink box is CUPS or a derivation of CUPS.  If, unlikely as it may sound, someone were to print from one CUPS server to another CUPS server, and that second CUPS server was configured to require user names and passwords, how would the first CUPS server supply them?

...thanks for any help.