Printing Barcodes

Opher S. ophers at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 04:41:37 PST 2008

Hello all,
We are in a similar situation where we need *generic* Barcode print
capability, i.e. To print Barcode to *any* printer supported by CUPS without
dependence on hardware support or fonts.
I have cooked a solution for this - it is near completion - but I need to
figure out the right / elegant way to integrate into CUPS' filters.
My initial thoughts:
   1. Send, with the job, an attribute (option): barcode=type;left-x;lower-y
      e.g.: lp -o"barcode=code39;50;150" text_with_barcode_marks.txt
   2. In the print file place a mark:  ESC B 0123456789 ESC B
      ESC is 0x1b, spaces are for readability and the data follows.
      The mark can be placed anyware in each page that contains a barcode.
   3. Hack texttops to recognize the ESC B sequence. texttops will treat it
as zero length.

I would appriciate (very much so) comments.
Thanks,
Opher Shachar.

news:32170-cups.general at news.easysw.com...