special form printing

James E. Lang jim at lang.hm
Fri Dec 12 22:09:08 PST 2008

We use a print server utilizing cups to support sharing a common printer by a network of over a dozen computers in our home. From time to time a print job is created that requires special paper. This looks to me to be something that would be quite common in a business environment. I do not see how the print queue is managed so as to ensure that the special paper is inserted before the print job that requires it begins and that standard paper is inserted again after that print job completes. What mechanism exists to manage this? If this is not a CUPS issue then where else should I look to gain this functionality?