Where in CUPS can you enter the printer's

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Sat Dec 13 10:33:13 PST 2008

> On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 21:36 -0800, stuart wrote:
> > I have an AirLink print server connected to an HP inkjet printer. I
> > can print to the HP inkjet printer using Windows XP, but not directly
> > from a Fedora9 box
>
> On Fedora 9 are you using the most recent update for
> system-config-printer?:
>   https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/F9/FEDORA-2008-8568
>
> This version, made a stable update just yesterday, adds support for job
> authentication using the print job applet.
>
> I wrote about starting this work here:
>   http://cyberelk.net/tim/2008/04/17/proxy-authentication/
>
> (it's talking about smb:// queues, but it also applies to ipp:// queues
> which require authentication.)
>
> Tim.

I installed the latest version of system-config-printer on my Fedora9 box.  I also, based on another posting, switched to using JetDirect instead of http or ipp.  Somewhere along the way I was able to print directly from the Fedora9 box to the AirLink print server!  Thanks Tim.

The Device URI I used was "socket://<ip_address>:9100".  I don't believe user-names/pass-words are used in this protocol.  And I am not sure if this is the same protocol that my XP box (which has been able to print to the AirLink server all this time) is using (probably not).

However, I still have not been able to get the CUPS server I normally use running on a Debian box to successfully print a test page to the AirLink print server (which is connected to an HP printer).  Currently I am using the same URI in CUPS as I had success on the Fedora9 box.  I should also be using the same ppd file for an HP PSC 1500 type printer. Now, I usually get multiple pages with some text gibberish when trying to send a job from my Fedora9 box to the CUPS running on the Debian box.

...Well, that interesting.  On a hunch I just printed the Fedora9 box's test page to the CUPS print server.  I sent the job to the CUPS's /print/color que which sends it off the the AirLink printer. And that worked!  So it's as if the CUPS server is not using the ppd file local to the machine it's running on or the ppd file there is wrong.  I just checked, the ppd files on the Fedora9 and Debian boxes are identical.

Hummmm...  anyone what to guess on what's going on?

...thanks