Laserjet 5 printing strange characters

Marty lespaul49 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 08:58:14 PST 2008

Hi,

I have a HP Laserjet 5 connected via LAN. In windows xp it work without any external drivers but I can't get it to work correctly in ubuntu 8.10.
I get a some garbage/strange characters on top of each document I print. In some cases it prints nothing but garbage.

I've installed it as a Jetdirect device in cups with this uri:
socket://ipaddress:2501
For some reason the default port 9100 doesn't work. I found with a portscanner that port 2501 was open on the printer so I tried that and now it prints at least something.

I've tried all PPD files that came with ubuntu. The one the works best is the "HP Laserjet 5 - CUPS+Gutenprint V 5.2.0-rc1 Simplified". With some other PPD files it doesn't work at all.

On some website they claimed you need to obtain the queue name of the printer. I'm not able to find this on the printers self test config page. Where can I find this?

I also tried a program called HPLIP but it isn't able to detect the printer, even if I enter it's IP address.

When I install the printer in windows xp I have to select the 'device type'after creating a tcp port. I have to select "Emulex internal MIO card". In Ubuntu/cups I'm not able to configure this. Maybe this as something to do with it?

Can somebody help me out?

Marty