Using Alternate pstops

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Dec 16 08:44:30 PST 2008

Richard Rogers wrote:
> Right, I'm new to CUPS, so I obviously need some help...
> I need to be able to have user info (eg username, computername, date, etc) printed on each page. To do this you need to install the Alternate pstops file which I have downloaded, replaced the original in the source code, run ./configure, make, make install.
> So, I now have a working CUPS 1.3.9, but I still don't know what I have to do to get the username and other data to display on each page.
> Can anyone tell me what other file(s) i need to edit and, if possible, whether I can limit this to certain printers, users or groups?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Richie

Richard,

what you intend to achieve is about what I described as "extended page label/watermark"
printing in the little pstops.txt documentation file.

As you can see from the watermark example near the end of the docu, you need to write a
piece of PostScript code to do that, and you need to make sure that the user info
you want to print on each page does not obscure the normal page content or gets obscured
by the normal content (depending on whether the watermark is printed first or last on the page).

If you are not sufficiently used to PostScript as a programming language, please be
more specific on what you want to print where onto the pages, and I could post an example
with lots of comments that help to edit the example to your needs.

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung