CUPS windows driver

Niconux hahnn at x-itools.com
Wed Dec 17 09:05:19 PST 2008

Hi there,
I'm trying to install cups windows drivers with SAMBA. I don't find updated documentation in SAMBA, and I cannot successfully set CUPS+SAMBA to work to have this universal printing thing.

I use samba 3.0.33 and cups 1.3.9 on linux RHEL 5 64 bits.

In samba documentation, they are speaking about a package named cups-samba-1.1.19.tar.gz, which I cannot find on your download section. What I find on CUPS web site is another package named cups-windows-6.0-1.i386.rpm.

I have installed this rpm.

I've created a printer with lpadmin command. The printer is a XEROX one, with PPD provided on their web site. I used this PPD when I've installed this printer via the lpadmin command.

My SAMBA is of course fully configured to allow printer download from client stations.

What I don't understand at first is why I have the message "No Windows printer drivers are installed!" when I use cupsaddsmb, despite the fact that the cups-windows-6.0-1.i386.rpm has been installed. I have this in /usr/share/cups/drivers:
cups6.inf
cups6.ini
cupsps6.dll
cupsui6.dll

I saw in cupsaddsmb man page that there are also some files comming from a driver folder on a windows station. Should i have them also ? Where to find them (because I tried to find them on a XP station where it was indicated in the man page, but they don't exist).

Another question: I saw samba documentation speaking also about a cups.hlp file. It doesn't exist in the cups-windows-6.0-1.i386.rpm package.

I also tried to install the driver via smbclient and net rpc -c 'adddriver...' command without success (and the cups.hlp file is maybe necessary for this command). Note that my samba server is a member of an active directory domain (not acting as AD PDC) only acting as print server for an organization composed of 3000 users and 300 printers!

And so on...

As you can see, that's a lot of problems and questions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot.