enterprise deployment

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Thu Dec 18 19:27:45 PST 2008

lance wrote:
> pls bear with me.  new cups user.  in windows, you can push mutliple printers to hundreds of users thru printer management and groupd policy.  how does it possibles to push multiples printers from cups server to several users.

Normally you do this with CUPS browsing - setup a server that is
sharing printers.  If all the systems are on the same subnet, the
other (client) systems will automatically see the print queues.

If the client systems are on different subnets, you can either use
the client.conf file to point the clients at the server (use the
ServerName directive) or use the BrowsePoll and BrowseRelay directives
on one or two clients per subnet to relay the printers to the other
clients.

You can also setup multiple servers with the same queues to auto-
matically get load-balancing.