cupsaddsmb and printer model

Niconux hahnn at x-itools.com
Thu Dec 18 23:58:00 PST 2008

Hello,

When I use cupsaddsmb to add a printer driver automatically in SAMBA, I can see in windows explorer that the column "printer model" automatically takes the name of the printer share (netbios name in fact).

This "feature" disturb my users, because for instance, all our printers here are named with a specific coding format, including floor level, wall, intersection number and so on... we would like to have a way to redefine printer model name to keep them like "HP LaserJet 9050 Series" for example.

Is there an option allowing to do this in cupsaddsmb ? I've also opened a ticket to the SAMBA team because apparently, on their side, this is the same: there is no possibility to change the way a driver is named with rpcclient command.

Any idea ?

Thanks for your help.

KR.
Nicolas