Administrator-chosen explanatory message for e.g. paused printer

John A. Murdie john at cs.york.ac.uk
Fri Dec 19 08:45:19 PST 2008

Is there a means for a CUPS administrator to set a message which should appear on the CUPS web page for a printer - e.g. when a printer is paused for maintenance, could the message "Printer being repaired - should be available again at 14:00 today" be posted there?

It's something that I've wished for since starting to use CUPS, but have used alternative methods of keeping users informed about printer status. Some users expect the printer status to be found on the CUPS printer web page, however.

It's quite possible that I've overlooked this feature, not having followed CUPS very closely of late. If it doesn't exist, I'll submit an RFE.

John A. Murdie