Printing to remote smb printers fails with cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided.

ekkard gerlach jack at aiai.de
Mon Dec 22 15:22:36 PST 2008

r0k5t4r schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I recently tried out cups to simplify the life of our unix users. My goal was to have a central cups server where we configure all
 > of our windows smb printers and have this cups server serve the
printers via ipp to all the other unix clients. The setup works
 > fine so far except that I can't print from any client.
be aware of CUPS endless loops! CUPS inserts endless many queues into
printers.conf and printing is completely disabled. About two times a
year. I observed that in my customers offices. Now I turn off ipp
broadcasting, printers are configured manually. But no experience with
Windows machines.

> D [22/Dec/2008:13:18:51 -0200] cupsdAuthorize: No authentication data provided.
Allow from .... ? see my other posting to another thread 5 minutes ago.

> Is there a way to totally disable authentication? I have seen there is a way to setup cups to use kerberos but we are using a Active Directory KDC and I don't really know if this is gonna work. All the clients are using samba-winbind to authenticate to AD and on login every users gets a Kerberos ticket.

change
         AuthType BasicDigest
         AuthClass Group
         AuthGroupName sys
to:
         AuthType None
         #AuthType BasicDigest
         #AuthClass Group
         #AuthGroupName sys

newer CUPS versions don't have these entrys, don't know why, CUPS of
Suse 10.2 needs this cupsd.conf, found with try&error, nobody here has
had an answer:

  # Show general information in error_log.
LogLevel info
SystemGroup sys root
# Allow remote access
Port 631
Listen /var/run/cups/cups.sock
# Disable printer sharing and shared printers.
Browsing Off
DefaultAuthType Basic
<Location />
   # Allow remote administration...
   Order allow,deny
   Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Location /admin>
   Encryption Required
   # Allow remote administration...
   Order allow,deny
   Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Location /admin/conf>
   AuthType None
   Require user @SYSTEM
   # Allow remote access to the configuration files...
   Order allow,deny
   Allow @LOCAL
</Location>
<Policy default>
   <Limit Send-Document Send-URI Hold-Job Release-Job Restart-Job
Purge-Jobs Set-Job-Attributes Create-Job-Subscription Renew-Subscription
Cancel-Subscription Get-Notifica\
tions Reprocess-Job Cancel-Current-Job Suspend-Current-Job Resume-Job
CUPS-Move-Job>
     Require user @OWNER @SYSTEM
     Order deny,allow
   </Limit>
   <Limit Pause-Printer Resume-Printer Set-Printer-Attributes
Enable-Printer Disable-Printer Pause-Printer-After-Current-Job
Hold-New-Jobs Release-Held-New-Jobs Deactivate\
-Printer Activate-Printer Restart-Printer Shutdown-Printer
Startup-Printer Promote-Job Schedule-Job-After CUPS-Add-Printer
CUPS-Delete-Printer CUPS-Add-Class CUPS-Delete-\
Class CUPS-Accept-Jobs CUPS-Reject-Jobs CUPS-Set-Default>
     AuthType None
     Order deny,allow
   </Limit>
   <Limit CUPS-Authenticate-Job>