swedish characters (åäö) from lp or lpr print gibberish

Fredrik Lundgren fredrik.bg.lundgren at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 02:57:38 PST 2008

Hello cupsers!

I use Mac OS X 10.5.6, CUPS, Airport and have a HP LaserJet 1010 as networkprinter. From applications (emacs, textedit, neooffice, openoffice, etc) printing works OK both from the Mac and from a open SuSE 10.3 computer (even with swedish charcters 'åäö'). However, when I use lp or lpr from the 'terminal' or 'konsole' to print textfiles I get 'gibberish' for the sedish characters åäö. What shuld be tweaked and how? I'm using UTF-8.

Fredrik