swedish characters (åäö) from lp or lpr print gibberish

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Mon Dec 29 10:16:34 PST 2008

Fredrik Lundgren wrote:

>>> Thanks again,
>>>
>>> Well, I have /private/etc/cups/mime.convs
>>> but in the /usr/libexec/cups/filter only:
>>>
>>> cgpdftopdf             nstexttopdf            pstoraster
>>> cgpdftops              pdftopm                rastertodymo
>>> cgpdftoraster          pictwpstops            rastertoepson
>>> commandtocanon         pstoappleps            rastertogimpprint.5.0
>>> commandtoepson         pstocupsraster         rastertogutenprint.5.1
>>> gziptoany              pstopdffilter          rastertohp
>>> hpgltops               pstops                 rastertolabel
>>> nsimagetopdf           pstopxl                rastertotiff
>>>
>>> and as far as I see no texttops and locate texttops is also negative?
>>>
>>> In mime.convs:
>>>
>>> application/x-cshell    application/postscript  33      texttops
>>> application/x-csource   application/postscript  33      texttops
>>> application/x-perl      application/postscript  33      texttops
>>> application/x-shell     application/postscript  33      texttops
>>> text/plain              application/postscript  33      texttops
>>> text/html               application/postscript  33      texttops
>>>
>>> so texttops is referred to but maybe non-existant.
>>>
>>> Where can I find that filter?
>> It would be part of the normal CUPS source distribution - I guess
>> that filter isn't included in the normal Mac OS X install...
>>
>> You can download the current CUPS 1.3.9 source code and build it to
>> produce the texttops filter, then copy it to /usr/libexec/cups/filter.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products           mike at easysw dot com
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Finally, the problems with swedish characters (åäö) is fixed...
>   but
> when printing from the Mac the printed text is also reasonably placed on the paper but from the SuSE I have to use a 'ridiculous' alias
> alias lpr= 'lpr -o page-top=90 -o page-bottom=0'
> and even then I can't get the printed text where it should be. Is there somewhere else top and bottom 'margins' should be tweaked?
> On the Mac i have Cups 1.3.8 and on the SuSE Cups 1.2.12, is this the problem?

The default margins come from the PPD file; you can use:

     lpoptions -p printer -o page-top=NNN -o page-bottom=NNN

to save the margins on the SuSE system.

Also, make sure that your SuSE system is using the texttops filter and
not the paps filter which uses Pango and Cairo to render the text and
has some known issues...