Please help! Cups Add Printer does not work.

Zachary Uram netrek at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 14:25:56 PST 2008

Hi, I am running Ubuntu 6.06 and have tried everything to get my HP Deskjet 960C printer working in cups but it all fails! It is hooked up to the parallel port.I have hplip and hpijs installed.

Here are the cups packages I have installed:

ii  cupsys                                 1.2.0-0ubuntu5 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - server
ii  cupsys-bsd                             1.2.0-0ubuntu5 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - BSD comman
ii  cupsys-client                          1.2.0-0ubuntu5 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - client pro
ii  cupsys-driver-gutenprint               5.0.0~rc2-0ubuntu6 printer drivers for CUPS
ii  gnome-cups-manager                     0.31-1.1ubuntu13 CUPS printer admin tool for GNOME
ii  libcupsimage2                          1.2.0-0ubuntu5 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - image libs
ii  libcupsys2                             1.2.0-0ubuntu5 Common UNIX Printing System(tm) - libs
ii  libgnomecups1.0-1                      0.2.2-1ubuntu5 GNOME library for CUPS interaction
ii  libgnomecupsui1.0-1c2a                 0.31-1.1ubuntu13 UI extensions to libgnomecups

First I tried running gnome-cups-manager which calls gnome-cups-add as root but after I go through the 3 steps and setup my printer when I click apply it never creates it and the /var/log/cups/error_log says:
CUPS-Add-Modify-Printer: Unauthorized

How can the root user be unauthorized!? Ugh crazy.

Then I tried the cups web interface:
http://localhost:631/admin

I clicked Add Printer and selected the hplip driver and entered details:
http://localhost:631/admin?op=add-printer&PRINTER_NAME=hp_par_DESKJET_960C&PRINTER_LOCATION=Local+Printer&PRINTER_INFO=HP+DESKJET_960C&DEVICE_URI=hp:/par/DESKJET_960C?device=/dev/parport0|HP+DESKJET_960C

Then it gives a weird error:
413 Request Entity Too Large

Can someone please help me.

Zach