[cups.general] Global print quota for guest/nobody?

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Fri Feb 1 20:23:15 PST 2008

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 11:19:00AM -0800, John wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. Having the quest accounts be distinguished
> by hostname/ip/mac address would work great. As far as my print
> restrictions/quota is concerned, the time restraint is in place only
> because CUPS requires a time restraint. My goal is to limit any 1
> print job to say 10-15 pages - the lab printer is only meant to
> print labs and reports (usually 15 pages or less). So the page
> restriction is needed only to discourage printing huge jobs
> (obviously not school related), forcing students to break up their
> print job in increments if the job is larger than 10-15 pages. So I
> don't know how to directly answer your question about the time
> restraint needed Jerome, but hopefully this information answers the
> question for you. If using Pykota is relatively easy and can
> fullfill these requirements of mine, I'll gladly purchase and use it.

Well, I admit it's probably MUCH easier to use than to install,
especially the current development release, but I suggest you try
the latest stable tag available from subversion before deciding to
purchase or not :

  svn co svn://svn.librelogiciel.com/pykota/tags/1.26 pykota

Then, once installed (this is the difficult part) :

        pkprinters --add --maxjobsize 15 MyLabPrinter

Will ensure that, no matter what further restrictions you give to
them when creating your users later with the pkusers and edpykota
commands, nobody will ever be allowed to print more than 15 pages at
a time on this particular printer.

Please redirect further questions to the pykota at librelogiciel.com
mailing list.

hth