Delaying print jobs.

Adam Penny adam_penny at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 6 15:54:41 PST 2008

Situation: G5 with printers connected, MacBook on wireless, printing to the G5 printers from the MacBook.

The reason for my question is that I'm looking into writing a program on OSX to hold up the print job on the client for a few seconds while the client sends a wake on LAN packet to the server so that it's possible to put the server to sleep and still print rather than leave it awake all the time.

So far my understanding goes about as far as the print job going through Scheduler->Filters->Backend->Printer.

What I'd like to know is:
-Which of these processes occur on the client and which on the server.
-Whether it's possible to introduce a delay before the job is sent to the server
-Whether it's possible to introduce a command somewhere to trigger the Wake on Lan Process while the job is held.

Thank you in advance.

Adam