[cups.general] Authentication without Kerberos

Stefan Monnier monnier at iro.umontreal.ca
Thu Feb 7 07:24:33 PST 2008

I have 2 computers that are often in the same room, but can only talk
through the internet (the desktop is on a local network, the laptop is
on a hotspot wifi access point, both get their IP dynamically via DHCP).
I administer both machines, and I'd like to print from one to the other
(both are running Mac OS X, but I'm more familiar/comfortable with
Unix).

How can I share the printer over the internet without opening up a major
security hole?  I.e. I need at the very least authentication (only
allow connections from the laptop).  Encryption of the payload would be
good as well, though it's not sensitive data so it's secondary.

The only option I've seen is to use Kerberos authentication, but setting
up a Kerberos domain just for those two machines would be not only
overkill, but a major pain in the rear as well.

        Stefan