unable to printfile: client-error-document ....

Johnny King johnnymrking at gmail.com
Thu Feb 7 08:01:15 PST 2008

I am getting the following error message inside a forth generation language program we use on our POSSIX(registered) systems.  We  are using CentOS 4.2 with cups for printing.  We are using postscript printers LJ 4200 and LJ 4240 printers via a network interface.  When at the command prompt I can print to the printers and get the expected results from normal system files.  No errors are generated.  When I print from inside the program I get the error.

Spooling report ... lp:  unable to print file:client-error-document-format-not-supported.

Our program either can have the printer hard coded into it or the screen will ask for a printer name which in this case is #lj1, #lj2 or #lj3.  I have been unable to dicypher why this error is popping up on the users screen.  Once the error is displayed the user has to log off the system and then log back in as it screws up the screen.