Mac 10.5 server and multiple subnets

Erich Wetzel mail at wetzelandson.com
Sun Feb 10 17:45:18 PST 2008

Any help or advice would be appreciated.  We're using 10.5 server and 10.5 clients, all up to date.  Three subnets.  Server on one subnet where all clients get all served printers.  Other two subnets, clients can't see shared printers.

In 10.5 server as in 10.4 server the ability to BrowsePoll the server is limited to clients on the same subnet.  Authorization is refused and no printers are found if the client is on another subnet.

Manually editing the cupsd.conf file on the server seems to be impossible as it is perpetually being changed and edits are lost when the service is turned on and off.

Can anyone advise, now that Apple owns CUPS, how to allow my other two subnets to BrowsePoll our server for its printers?

Essentially I want the off subnet clients to pick up the served printers in the same way they do when on the same subnet as the server.  I can do this with a VPN client (which of course picks up a local IP) from out on the net.

I've wanted to have a fax print queue on the server hosted across our private network for years...

Please help.

thanks - erich