[cups.general] foomatic & pstoraster with cups-1.3.5

John Frankish frankish at dubai.oilfield.slb.com
Tue Feb 12 03:15:03 PST 2008

I have compiled cups-1.3.5 and epsgs-8.15.4 from source and am
looking to use cups to print to HP Officejet G85 and K80 printers
connected via a usb port. This is on a 2.4.31 kernel.

The first thing I noticed was that cups did not automatically detect
any printer, but when I execute the usb backend my printer is
detected. The browser interface does not list any usb ports, so I
used the ipp selection from the drop-down list and entered the uri
generated by the usb backend
(usb://HP/OfficeJet%20K80?serial=ES0911401VOH). Is it normal that
cups does not list a usb port with a printer connected?

If I use the cups browser interface to install the deskjet ppd file
included with cups and try to print the test page, it gets stuck at
0% printed with a cpu utilisation of 100%. The error log (level
debug) does not show any errors but repeats the same sequence many times.

If I use the cups browser interface to install the officejet K80 ppd
from hplip, then cups complains about missing foomatic-rip. I thought
the epsgs pstoraster filter was meant to replace foomatic-rip - is
this not the case?

Thanks
John