printing to a windows machine from cups

suresh suresh.amritapuri at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 21:40:09 PST 2008

Hi

I have struggled a lot to print to a windows machine from a debian linux machine and failed miserably. Any help would be appreciated. This is my setup.

printer hp laserjet 1020 is attached to a windows xp machine.
The printer is shared. My windows machine is attached to a domain. I am able to print from my network if the client machine is also in windows.

I try to print from a debian etch machine which has cups installed and then i fail.

I use the web interface of cups and selected the windows printer via samba.  I used this uri. smb://suresh:password@hostname/. Tried some variations of this uri also but all failed.

I get /usr/lib/cups/backend/smb failed error or sometimes /usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed error.

Sometimes the job does reach the windows machine but the job size is 0 bytes or the job size is non zero but the page count is zero (as shown by the windows machine) and nothing gets printed.

So far no luck!

Any help would be appreciated.

suresh