[cups.general] [cups.bugs] [MOD] STR #2706: print jobs to class do not migrate from unavailable printer

Johannes Meixner jsmeix at suse.de
Wed Feb 13 23:47:10 PST 2008

Hello,

On Feb 13 16:24 Michael Sweet wrote (shortened):
> The backend provides the failover functionality.
> Link: http://www.cups.org/str.php?L2706

I do not understand how the backend could signal the cupsd
that the job should be moved to another print queue in the
same class.

I mean when the filtering pipe and the backend is up and
running, how can the backend redirect the data to another
recipient (in particular when the queues in the class
use different URI schemes - i.e. different backends).

I think all the backend can do is to exit with a non-zero
exit code but according to "man backend" (in CUPS 1.3.5)
I don't find a exit code which signals the cupsd to move
the job to another print queue in the same class.

As far as I see only the exit code CUPS_BACKEND_STOP
together with "ErrorPolicy retry-job" in classes.conf
could help at the moment if this results that the cupsd
retries the job via another queue in the same class.

Or does "ErrorPolicy stop-printer" in classes.conf
perhaps stop only the particular queue and cupsd retries
the job automatically via another queue in the same class
(provided there is at least one queue enabled in the class)?

Or does "ErrorPolicy stop-printer" in classes.conf
stop the whole class?
If yes, does it really make sense to stop the whole
class if only one member queue fails?

At least for me the documentation
http://www.cups.org/documentation.php/ref-classes-conf.html
is not very clear.