Duplex printing to an HP Laserjet P3005dn

Helge Blischke h.blischke at srz.de
Tue Feb 19 08:13:31 PST 2008

Eddie Lawrence wrote:
> I am attempting to do duplex printing to an HP Laserjet P3005dn. I am using the following command to send the print jobs:
>
> lpr -#1 -P HP_LaserJet_P3005 -o sides=two-sided-long-edge -o media=Letter filename
>
> The printer seems to ignore the "-o sides=two-sided-long-edge" option. The printer is capable of duplexing and does print both sides from Microsoft Office applications. I just can't get it to print duplex from Linux. Could this be a problem with the CUPS printer definition?

The sides attribute is checked against the duplex stuff in the
printer's PPD and only honoured if the PPD says the printer
supports duplexing. CUPS checks the keyword variants
	Duplex
	EFDuplex
	EFDuplexing
	KD03Duplex
	JCLDuplex
and looks for the values
	DuplexNoTumble
	LongEdge
	Top
or
	DuplexTumble
	ShortEdge
	Bottom
for the long-edge or short-edge variant, respectively.
If the PPD contains other keywords and/or values than
these, CUPS thinks duplexing is not supported.

You probablyx need to edit the PPD of your printer
(and possibly file a STR for this issue).

Helge

--
Helge Blischke
Softwareentwicklung