[cups.general] various cups admin?

Dave dmehler26 at woh.rr.com
Wed Feb 20 07:12:16 PST 2008

Hello,
    I've got various questions on cups 1.3.3 and it's new admin features
things i'd like clarified.
    First of all i updated my centos box from cups 1.1 or something along
those lines to 1.3.3 by making the rpm. I noticed that there's a major
difference in the size and content of the cupsd.conf files between versions,
the one i have for 1.3.3 seems to be missing items like ServerAdmin,
ServerName, ServerTokens and many others. Checking the man page i see those
options are still good, are they set default in another file?
    I've set up ssl by following this link:

http://www.howtoforge.com/samba-domaincontroller-swat-fedora8-p2

whenever i connect i'm getting the certificate can not be verified. Can i
drop in server cert and private keys that my ca signed and if i do do i also
have to add my ca's public to /etc/cups/ssl?
    When i initially set up 1.3.3 i could access all urls unencrypted then i
set up encryption with ssl and now with the Encryption Required option set
in /, /admin, and /admin/conf i have to use https when getting to those
urls. I was wondering if there was a rewrite facility to take a http url and
translate it in to an https for access, something like apache's mod_rewrite
module?
    I've got some questions on publishing printers to samba. Currently my
procedure is to make a raw printer in cups and set up a samba print$ share,
then using a windows printer driver CD and the apw add in the drivers. I've
noticed cupsaddsmb -a would all i have to do is drop in the uncompressed
windows drivers to my printers in a drivers area and do a cupsaddsmb -a on
it? Or did i miss something? Would using postscript drivers offer any
advantages over the windows drivers deployed as i have them?
    Lastly, i noticed in the web interface admin section the option to print
from the internet. What is this do, what ports does it open, i'm going to
want to encrypt this so internet print traffic can't be read, and what do i
need to do on each client to get this going? These are not all linux
machines, some will be windows.
    Thanks.
Dave.