[cups.general] various cups admin?

Michael Sweet mike at easysw.com
Wed Feb 20 07:58:28 PST 2008

Dave wrote:
> Hello,
>    I've got various questions on cups 1.3.3 and it's new admin features
> things i'd like clarified.
>    First of all i updated my centos box from cups 1.1 or something along
> those lines to 1.3.3 by making the rpm. I noticed that there's a major
> difference in the size and content of the cupsd.conf files between
> versions,
> the one i have for 1.3.3 seems to be missing items like ServerAdmin,
> ServerName, ServerTokens and many others. Checking the man page i see those
> options are still good, are they set default in another file?

No, we just removed all of the "documentation" from the sample file
since it was apparently confusing a lot of users.  Also, since we
strip comments when updating the cupsd.conf file via the web interface
or cupsctl commands, it didn't make sense to keep using the old sample
config file.

> whenever i connect i'm getting the certificate can not be verified. Can i
> drop in server cert and private keys that my ca signed and if i do do i
> also
> have to add my ca's public to /etc/cups/ssl?

CUPS doesn't do certificate verification, is just requires a valid
certificate (i.e. one that decodes properly, not one that is authorized
or approved).

>    Lastly, i noticed in the web interface admin section the option to
> print from the internet. What is this do, what ports does it open, i'm
> going to want to encrypt this so internet print traffic can't be read,
> and what do i need to do on each client to get this going? These are not
> all linux machines, some will be windows.

The "allow printing from the Internet" just allows connection from any
IP - the default is to only allow printing from the local subnet(s)
when you enable printer sharing.